Bentley Continental S2 Flying Spur 1961 – Francja

Bentley Continental S2 Flying Spur powstał w zaledwie 124 sztukach, z czego jedynie 54 otrzymały kierownicę po lewej stronie, w tym licytowany egzemplarz. Jego aluminiowe, czterodrzwiowe nadwozie „Flying Spur” to dzieło firmy karoseryjnej Mulliner. Oznaczenie S2 pojawiło się wraz z nowym silnikiem, który po raz pierwszy otrzymał osiem cylindrów. To limuzyna, która oferowała połączenie doskonałych osiągów z fantastycznym komfortem. Jej obecny właściciel aktywnie korzysta z jej zalet, uczestnicząc w rajdach samochodów zbytkowych. Przewidywana cena: ok. 840-1.100 tys. PLN.

Link: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23127/lot/9/

Lot 9*
BENTLEY CONTINENTAL S2 FLYING SPUR BERLINE SPORT 1961
€200,000 – 250,000
PLN 840,000 – 1.1 million

AUCTION 23127:
THE CHANTILLY SALE
5 Sep 2015 18:15 CEST

1961 Bentley S2 Continental Flying Spur Sports Saloon
Coachwork by H J Mulliner
Chassis no. BC90LBY
Engine no. B89BC

*Rare and exclusive alloy bodied four-door Flying Spur model
*Original left-hand drive delivery
*Current private ownership since 2008
*Excellent cosmetic and mechanical presentation

This Bentley S2 Continental features the elegant, H J Mulliner-designed, alloy body, ‚Flying Spur’ four-door coachwork, and is one of 54 with left-hand drive out of a total of 125 completed in this style on the S2 chassis.

Eulogising about Bentley’s new ‚S’-series cars, introduced in April 1955, The Autocar wrote, ‚the latest Bentley model offers a degree of safety, comfort and performance that is beyond the experience and perhaps even the imagination of the majority of the world’s motorists.’ Later, in October that same year, the Bentley Continental became available on the ‚S’ chassis, the model having been synonymous with effortless high speed cruising in the grand manner since its introduction in R-Type form in 1952.

Having relied exclusively on six-cylinder engines since civilian production resumed at the war’s end, Rolls-Royce secured its long-term future by turning to V8 power as the 1960s approached. Introduced in the autumn of 1959, the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II and Bentley S2 appeared externally unchanged from their Silver Cloud and S-Type predecessors, though their performance was considerably enhanced by the new 6,230cc aluminium-alloy engine. Power-assisted steering was now standard and there was no longer the option of a manual gearbox, Rolls-Royce’s own four-speed automatic transmission being the sole offering.
The S2 Continental chassis differed by virtue of its shorter radiator, four-leading-shoe front drum brakes and – up to chassis number BC99BY – higher gearing. Independent coachbuilders continued to offer alternatives to the factory’s ‚standard steel’ bodywork, perhaps the most stylish being those produced to cloth the Bentley Continental which was, of course, only ever available with bespoke coachwork.

Rolls-Royce had envisaged the Bentley Continental as exclusively a two-door car, but late in 1957 the decision was taken to sanction the production of a four-door variation by H J Mulliner. Introduced on the S1 Continental and known as the ‚Flying Spur’, this design was a collaborative effort by Rolls-Royce’s in-house styling department and H J Mulliner, and bore a strong resemblance both to the two-door Continental and to existing coachbuilt four-door styles on Rolls-Royce and (non-Continental) Bentley chassis. The Flying Spur body style continued on the V8-engined S2 Continental and was revised to incorporate the S3’s four-headlamp front end following the latter’s introduction in 1962. To the Continental’s existing qualities of pace and elegance, the Flying Spur added four-door practicality, a more spacious interior and generously proportioned boot, making it even more suited to extended touring of far-flung destinations.

Left-hand drive chassis number ‚BC90LBY’ was delivered new in the USA and first owned by a Mrs Charles Davis. Accompanying copy build sheets reveal that the car was delivered with full refrigeration (for Texas), electric aerial, Becker ‚Köln’ radio, Windtone horns and Firestone whitewall tyres. The Bentley had already been restored (believed circa 2000) when it was acquired by the current private vendor in July 2008, since when it has been brought up to excellent ‚user’ condition for rallies in the Swiss mountains. Works carried out include rebuilds of the brakes and gearbox, the latter being still under guarantee (bill on file). Repainted in Burgundy (from original Smoke Green) the car features a re-upholstered tan leather interior, electronic ignition and largely rewired electrics. As featured in the Bentley Drivers’ Club Review (April 2011), this rare and beautiful Flying Spur is ready for use and comes with the aforementioned documentation, Swiss Permis de Circulation and Contrôle Technique.