Mercedes 300 SL Roadster powstał na bazie słynnego Gullwinga, przewyższając go drogowymi manierami. Łączył najwyższe techniczne rozwiązania lat 50-tych z przepiękną sylwetką i doskonałymi osiągami. Dziś może być gwiazdą każdej kolekcji, stale zyskującą na wartości. Ten przepiękny egzemplarz zachwyca swoim doskonale utrzymanym i w pełni oryginalnym stanem. Jego pierwszym właścicielem był niemiecki przemysłowiec, Alfried Krupp. Swojego czwartego właściciela znalazł na aukcji Bonhams’a w Stuttgarcie. Uzyskana cena – ok. 4,6 mln PLN (wliczając prowizję).
1960 MERCEDES 300SL ROADSTER
Chassis no. 198.042-10-002539 Engine no. 198.980-10-002544
€900,000 – 1.2 million
PLN 3.7 million – 4.9 million
Sold for €1,121,250 inc.premium
THE MERCEDES-BENZ SALE
28 Mar 2015 14:00 CET
STUTTGART, MERCEDES-BENZ MUSEUM
Formerly the property of Alfried Krupp, in current ownership since 1980 and an extremely original example
1960 Mercedes 300SL Roadster
Chassis no. 198.042-10-002539
Engine no. 198.980-10-002544
Created to spearhead Mercedes-Benz’s return to competition in the post-war era, the 300 SL debuted in the 1952 Mille Miglia, finishing 2nd and 4th overall. Wins in the Carrera Pan-Americana and at Le Mans followed, and the 300 SL was on its way to becoming part of motor sporting legend. The first racers were open-topped but before the ’52 season’s end the distinctive gull-wing doored Coupé had appeared. Unusually high sills were a feature of the multi-tubular spaceframe chassis, and while access was not a problem of the open car, the adoption of coupé bodywork required innovative thinking – hence the gull-wing doors.
Launched in 1954, the production 300 SL retained the spaceframe chassis of the racer and was powered by a 2,996cc, overhead-camshaft, inline six canted at 45 degrees to achieve a lower, more aerodynamic bonnet line. Using innovative direct fuel injection, this state-of-the-art power unit produced 215bhp at 5,800rpm. A four-speed gearbox transmitted power to the hypoid bevel rear axle. Suspension was independent all round by wishbones and coil springs at the front, with swing axles and coil springs at the rear.
Tested by Road & Track magazine in 1955, the 300 SL accelerated from 0-60mph in 7.4 seconds, going on to achieve a top speed of 140mph – outstanding figures for its day. Clearly the 300 SL Coupé would be a hard act to follow yet the Roadster version, introduced just three years later, succeeded in bettering its closed cousin’s already exemplary road manners. Conventionally doored, the 300 SL Roadster was first exhibited at the Geneva Salon in May 1957 and would outlive the Coupé by several years. The production of an open 300 SL involved altering the cockpit area, where the spaceframe was redesigned to permit lower sills for improved access. At the same time the rear suspension was changed to incorporate low-pivot swing axles.
The Roadster’s neutral steering characteristics received fulsome praise from Road & Track in its 1958 road test. 'With the low-pivot rear suspension and more adhesive tyres, the car handles beautifully under all conditions. This is a tremendous improvement over the hardtop models, which had a tendency to oversteer rather violently if pressed too hard.’ A 0-60mph time of 7.0 seconds and a top speed of 130mph were recorded, making the 300 SL Roadster one of the fastest convertibles of its time. R&T concluded: 'There is no doubt that the 300 SL roadster is a truly great dual-purpose sportscar, equally at home in traffic and the open road, or on the track,’ words that remain equally true today.
This outstandingly original 300 SL Roadster was first owned by the prominent German industrialist Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach (1907-1967), head of the family steel-making firm Friedrich Krupp AG of Essen. The car comes with the original order form, signed by Alfried Krupp, and numerous other documents. Owned by the current vendor – only its third in 55 years – since 1980, chassis number '2539′ has covered only 170,000 kilometres (approximately 105,500 miles) from new and is accident free. Original and un-restored, it retains matching chassis/engine numbers together with its original synthetic resin brown paintwork, beige leather interior, Becker Mexico radio and disc brakes, the latter ordered by Alfried Krupp shortly after delivery. The car comes with its original owner’s manual and folder, original tool kit, original jack and a board-mounted owner’s certificate. A steering wheel lock and plastic container for brake fluid come with it also.
During the vendor’s 35-year ownership the 300 SL has been driven regularly in summer to attend classic car meetings and other events, covering only a limited distance annually. Meticulously maintained and serviced, it is never used on the road during winter months and is always kept garaged. Possessing a TüV (MoT) valid until 2016, this exceptional 300 SL Roadster is described as in excellent condition and is ready to enjoy.